The first Tuesday in November will remain the sacred territory of the Melbourne Cup with officials hosing down reports it would be moved.
Newly appointed Victoria Racing club chairman Amanda Elliott says there will be no messing with tradition and a Newscorp report to the contrary is unfounded and ill-informed.
"The Melbourne Cup Carnival is internationally recognised and considered one of the great racing carnivals of the world," Elliott said..
"I emphatically assure all Australians that the Melbourne Cup will continue to be run on the first Tuesday in November."
Earlier on Sunday, Victoria's racing minister Martin Pakula weighed in on Twitter.
"I've spoken to the Chairman of the VRC and the Acting Chairman of Racing Victoria this morning. Rest assured. The Melbourne Cup's not moving" he said.
SYDNEY, March 12 AAP