WILLIAM REID STAKES
1200m, $500,000, Group One weight-for-age at Moonee Valley
* First run in 1925 when won by The Night Patrol who also won the following year.
* Formerly known as the Australia Stakes, it reverted to its original name, the William Reid Stakes, in 2010.
* Group One since 1987.
* Manikato won the race five years in a row from 1979 to 1983.
* Champion Black Caviar won the race twice in 2011 and 2013 during her unbeaten career.
* The William Reid is Melbourne's final Group One race for the season.
* Five Group One winners are among this year's field including last year's winner Flamberge.
* Seven-year-old Rebel Dane will be chasing a Moonee Valley Group One sprint double this season having taken out the Manikato Stakes over the course and distance last spring.
* Three-year-old colt Star Turn is favourite to break through for his first Group One win having been placed at the elite level three times.
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
"You always worry when they are getting back from a spell, whether they are back, or whether now he's an older horse he might take a few runs, but based on what we're seeing he's ready to rock and roll on Friday night" Rebel Dane's trainer Gary Portelli.
"She seems to be absolutely flying" Sheidel's co-trainer Tom Dabernig.
"Obviously there's some more seasoned sprinters in there and it's weight-for-age, but she's very consistent and tries very hard so she'll run well" Andrew Noblet trainer of Silent Sedition.
SYDNEY, March 23 AAP