Run at Flemington over 1200m, $1.25 million, handicap
* First run in 1874 when won by Maid Of Avenel.
* Malua (1884); Wakeful (1901); Gothic (1927-28); Aurie's Star (1937); Berborough (1946); Correct (1960-61); Century (1973); Maybe Mahal (1978); Placid Ark (1987); Shaftesbury Avenue (1991); Schillaci (1992); Exceed And Excel (2004); Takeover Target (2006); Weekend Hussler (2008); Black Caviar (2011); Lankan Rupee (2014); Brazen Beau (2015).
* The Quarterback, Redkirk Warrior and Voodoo Lad will try to become the first horses to win the Newmarket first-up since Polycrates in 1917.
* The Quarterback is attempting to become the first horse to win back-to-back Newmarkets since Razor Sharp in 1982-83.
* Spieth is favourite to break through for his first Group One win having finished a close second in the Darley Classic and Lightning Stakes at Flemington in his past two starts.
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
"This is the next step with her. We didn't run her in the Oakleigh Plate on purpose just to have her spot-on for this. She's in great order" - Super Cash's trainer Andrew Noblet.
"He'll rock up there in good order. It's just a question of whether he can re-write the history books" - The Quarterback's trainer Robbie Griffiths.
"We've got a fit and healthy horse that performed well in the Lightning which traditionally is a good lead-up race for the Newmarket. I've done my job and the rest is now up to Hugh (Bowman)" - trainer Bryce Heys on favourite Spieth.
"He's an outstanding colt. He can win" - Extreme Choice's trainer Mick Price.
MELBOURNE, March 6 AAP